It’s already well-established that I’m a Katniss Everdeen admirer, and I love when I find subtle hints to her badass-edness in fashion, so this DIY is for my friends who have an equally dedicated love to all things Mockingjay. These are my DIY, high-fashion Katniss Everdeen arrow earrings.
The best part? You can make these badass earrings in 30 minutes or less, so if you need a new accessory for the New Year - it behooves me why you wouldn’t choose these.
Here’s how I did it:
1. Cut out two equally sized leather strips. Depending how long you like your earrings, you can cut the strips to size.
2. Freehand an arrow with a fine point Sharpie. If you want a perfect arrow, you can use a ruler to make perfect lines.
3. Use a metallic fine point Sharpie or Sharpie paint pen to put highlights on the arrow in strategic locations. I chose to put a few lines on the tip of the arrow and the feathering at the top.
4. Use a very small craft puncher (I used a 1/16th inch version) to punch out a small hole at the top of each strip. It should be about 1/4th of an inch from the top.
5. Attach your earring hook.
Strip of leather
Fine point Sharpies
Scissors or Exacto knife
Total cost of this project: $1 for one pair. You can make about 6 pairs of earrings with these strips from Hobby Lobby. You can also buy sterling silver earring hooks from any number of retailers starting as low as $4 for 12 hooks as long as you have the rest of the materials.
Thanks to my friend Style Pistol for lending her lobes to me for the video.