If you follow me on instagram (I’m @lizgiorgi!) you know that I’m a bit obsessed. It’s great to capture the smallest of moments alongside the biggest. Plus, it’s all just so beautiful.
Well, when I wrote about different instagram art options for your home, I realized that there was one really basic product that was missing: a cheap canvas option that you could hang in a cubicle or stand up in a set on a desk.
So, I decided to try and make it. They turned out super cute and the best part is that each one costs about $1.13 to make.
Here’s how I did it.
1. Save two photos from your instagram account on your computer. Use a photo editing software or service to create a 4x6 photo canvas. Then, position two instagram prints next to each other at 3x3 inches each. You will have a 1 inch blank area on the bottom of the print, but that’s OK, because in order for this project to be cost effective, you need to get two prints on each sheet of photo paper.
2. Print the photo at home. Take it to the store and print it at a Kiosk. Send it to Shutterfly. Whatever you want! Just get it printed. It cost me 25 cents to make that print at Target, making each photo about 13 cents.
3. Cut the photos. Use a straight edge or photo cutter (like this one) to separate the two photos.
4. Now, grab your 3 inch by 3 inch canvases. Using a photo mount spray glue (not Elmer’s, not tacky, not stick, not super - PHOTO MOUNT ONLY!) spray a thin layer of glue on the canvas from about 6 inches away. I recommend doing this outside, because it’s sticky and gets everywhere.
5. Once dry, trim any of the stray edges to clean up the overall look. Allow the glue to dry overnight before displaying or hanging.
Two instagram prints
Photo editing software
Photo paper or a place to print photos
Straight edge like a ruler
Photo Mount Spray (A note on this: yes, it’s expensive. But I recommend waiting for a 50% or 60% off coupon from Michael’s or Joann and buying it then. It will cost you $7-$8 that way and it lasts FOREVER. I have had the same bottle for 2 years and I’ve done about 20 different projects with it.)
Total cost: $1.13 each. I bought my canvas individually, but I could only find the 6 pack online. Either way, you should be able to find them for about $1 a piece at JoAnn Fabric and Michael’s Craft stores.