There’s nothing more iconic for the Hunger Games series than its Mockingjay pin. When I decided to be Katniss Everdeen for Halloween this year, went on a search for a Mockingjay pin on the internet and even in a Hot Topic store. But alas, I couldn’t find an affordable Mockingjay pin. SO… I made my own. Here’s how I made the Mockingjay pin
1 piece of cardstock
1 safety pin
1 package Elmer’s glue
1 package gold glitter
1 package silver glitter
1 paint brush
1 roll scotch tape
1 small bowl
1. To start, print off a Mockingjay online. Or you could always print off my Mockingjay pumpkin carving template and reduce the size to about 20-30% percent. Cut out the Mockingjay. Disregard the circle for the time being.
2. Find a glass in your house that is about 3 inches wide on the bottom. Use the bottom to trace a perfect circle on your cardstock. Then turn it around and trace the lip around the smaller circle. Cut this circle out.
3. Put a layer of glue on both your Mockingjay and your circle. Use a paint brush to spread the glue out evenly. (Note: you may want to do this step on a piece of paper, because it does get messy!) Now, mix together your silver and gold glitter is a small bowl. Don’t use too much at first.
4. Slowly poor your glitter evenly over your Mockingjay and circle cut-outs. Then, poor the excess back in your bowl. Repeat this step until your happy with the glitter level.
5. Turn your Mockingjay over once it’s dry and tape the safety pin to the back. Be careful how you space it, so that you don’t show any of the pin.
6. Cut several tiny strips of tape and put them aside. Now, place your Mockingjay on top of your circle and turn over. Use those tiny strips of tape to secure.
7. Spray a thin layer of hairspray over the top to prevent the glitter from flaking off all night. Try to go with something that is scent-less, so you don’t smell like a fruit.
Pin it on and enjoy!
Want more Katniss Everdeen Halloween tutorials?